Thursday, June 12, 2008

To choose pain and life or death and peace

This new job of mine is posing all kinds of interesting situations. I am learning so much. I am very much consumed by all I have to and get to learn. Today I experienced telling a family that their son...27 yrs old....didn't have much longer and they could choose to allow him to stay home and potentionally die. very soon ..which he wanted to do...he has cancer. Or take him to the ER and have him admitted and given treatment that may or may not give him more time. I expressed that either choice was right but they needed to know that he was critical. I left them to make that decision. What would you do? I realize I didn't give you all the details but still the question remains...where do we draw the line. I went through this with my mom and this situation hits close to home. I believe she made the right decision...because it was hers to make but how I miss her! There are days that I wish she could have stayed with us longer...in fact most days. Yet for her, I know she is happy. Its just us that are left that have the hard days.
Wow sorry, didn't mean to make this such a depressing post. Just where I am today I guess.
On a brighter note HOMEMADE ICE CREAM on sunday at 7 pm for anyone in town!

3 comments:

Blacks said...

That is so hard! I think that I would want so badly to try and keep a loved one as long as I could but at the same time, that might mean keeping them in pain which isn't fair to them. You're a strong woman to be able to do this, and I'm sure the families appreciate someone like you to help them through this! I don't think I could do it.

OhShauna said...

Gayle,
Thank you so much for posting such a wonderful and sensitive post. I am sure you miss you Mom, I for one am thankful that she was given the time to attend Kristy's wedding so I that could see her again. sh

Bryce and Katie said...

Thats funny you posted about this. I've been thinking about Grandma a lot lately and her decision. She did the right thing, but I sure miss her! I'm very bummed we're missing the lake this weekend. Maybe next week? Have fun!